Friday, March 27, 2015

Quick update

We're making progress on the move, and by the end of the weekend we should be completely in the new house.  All along, though, I've known that I'll need a storage solution for the yarn room.  So here's what I've come up with.  I want two of these:

... and two of these:

...which, when put all together, will create a cozy little window seat area. This will create a some storage for my books, knitting tools/supplies and maybe *some* of my yarn and fiber. It will also give me a place to sit when I'm spinning at my wheel. I can't wait to show it to you some day soon.

But first ... sleep so we can be rarin' to go in the morning for this last push to get completely moved in!


Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It was bound to happen

What is "it," you may be asking? Well.  I am, in general, a fan of knitting things 2 at a time on one long circular needle, whether it's socks or sweater sleeves. This is a good way to get both done at once AND have them be identical.  Problem with this method is that, inevitably, at some point or another, I am bound to knit the two together. And that's exactly what I did today.  Doh! Took a bit of unknitting to get back on track, but I've fixed the mistake and am back on track.

In other news, the Mr and I are in the process of moving to a much smaller house. To put it in perspective: the old house is about 2,300 square feet, and the new house is less than 800 square feet. Needless to say, quite a bit of decluttering is in progress at the mo'. While in some ways it has made me a little sad, I'm feeling much lighter and happier at the idea of not hauling a bunch of stuff I don't need/want/use to a house where there is no room for extraneous stuff anyway.  I sold quite a bit of my stash to one of my besties over the weekend (but only because she insisted on paying me!). She is now the happy owner of several alpaca fleeces, and a metric TON of yarn, a lot of which will be used for her guild's charity work.

This is what my stash (well most of it) looks like now.  All that's missing is a big bin of yarn about the size of the brown one in the right corner.

I will keep ya posted on how the "stash room" takes shape over the next few weeks. Right now it's time for bed!


Monday, March 02, 2015

Frogged and restarted

2 years ago, I was at a weekend retreat with my spinning & weaving guild, and while there, I made significant progress on my first Julissa sweater.  We recently had our 3rd retreat (which means it's now a tradition!).  In the intervening years, though, I shrank (on purpose) so my original Julissa no longer fit me quite right.  So I frogged it.  Over this recent retreat weekend, I finally re-skeined and washed the yarn.  Once it dried, I cast on for another Julissa ... this time I'm doing the boat-neck version. Unfortunately, though, I don't have photos to show yet.

I also made good progress on my Saucy Librarian sweater.  Finished the seed stitch neckline, picked up about 85 million stitches, did all the raglan increases and and am now cruising on down the body. Oh! I also worked on the body of the Owls sweater. The body is finished and now it's time to start the sleeves ... which I might go do right now!


... this has been a QuietStorm production, dahling ...